EFC’s Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (SBEAP) provides free, confidential technical assistance to New York’s small-business owners to assist them in complying with state and federal air regulations. The program was recently profiled on the Capital Region Business Beat, a regular feature of Time Warner Cable News. To view the video, click here.
Under the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990, every state across the nation must provide a small business assistance program to help businesses understand whether air requirements apply to them and help them comply with those requirements. A list of specific services is below. There are more than 50,000 small businesses in New York State that may be subject to federal and/or state air emission requirements. The SBEAP is dedicated to helping those businesses come into compliance.
What does SBEAP do?
- We operate a toll-free technical assistance hotline to answer questions from small businesses, help determine what regulations apply to their operations, and help them understand how to comply with those regulations.
- We assist businesses with completing the required authorizations and supporting documentation, including permit applications forms for State Facility Permits or Minor Facility Registrations, emission inventories, air dispersion modeling and compliance plans.
- We provide pollution prevention suggestions in the areas of material substitution and process modification that may alleviate regulatory requirements.
- As needed, we conduct on-site technical assistance visits to evaluate the site-specific compliance issues at your business.
- We prepare technical publications (factsheets and brochures) to provide both general compliance information and information for specific industry sectors
- We sponsor and co-sponsor seminars and workshops across the state to bring technical information to locations near your business.
- We help new businesses understand what requirements must be met upon start-up.